Welcome to jdrgaming.com
Sunday, June 25 2017 @ 02:17 AM PST

Forum Index > Tanks 'n Planes Unlimited > TPU and Stats FAQ New Topic Post Reply
 TPU and TPU stats FAQ

Jeff Rivett (site admin)
 Saturday, May 07 2011 @ 07:04 AM PST (Read 6407 times)  
AAAAA
Admin

Tanks 'n Planes Unlimited Frequently Asked Questions

Game server
  • What is Tanks 'n Planes Unlimited?
  • How is TPU better than (or at least different from) other BF42 servers?
  • Why co-op vs. bots?
  • How can I see how many humans are playing?
  • Why does the server crash so often?
  • How do I change maps?
  • How can I track buddies in-game?
  • How can I get a bot to leave a vehicle I want to drive?
Game stats
  • Why am I not listed?
  • Why haven't my stats been updated?
  • I have changed my player name. Will it affect my stats?
  • How do I stop others from using my name?
  • Why am I losing points?
  • When are the stats reset? How does the stat window work?
  • Why do player details conflict with other info on the profile page?
  • How do I make a suggestion for the stats?
  • What do the stats column headings mean?
  • How are Points calculated?
  • What do the symbols next to player names mean?
  • Why are the captures and objectives columns always zero?
  • Why don't all my kills appear in my details?
  • How can I have my clan tracked separately?

Game server

What is Tanks 'n Planes Unlimited?
TPU is a dedicated co-op Battlefield 1942 game server. It is open for anyone to join. All you need to play is a Battlefield 1942 game client. To play all the maps in the regular rotation, you will need both of the official add-ons: The Road To Rome and Secret Weapons. Although most of the maps have been modified to some extent, we have tried to make sure that no special downloads are required for joining the server. Modifications have mostly been limited to increasing the number of tank and plane spawns and swapping certain units for others (one type of plane or tank for another). More recent mods involve adding gun emplacements, moving ships around and adding subs.

Currently, Sundays and Mondays are for Battlegroup 1942 on TPU. BG42 is a free, full realism mod for BF1942. You can find download links for BG42 in the Files and Links section of jdrgaming.com.

TPU runs 24/7, with all of the standard (but modded) maps in the rotation (except for BG42 Sundays/Mondays, and a random other mod on Wednesdays), 32 total players and an Axis:Allied ratio of 3:1 for six hours, switching to a 3:1 Allied:Axis ratio for six hours after that, and so on. Make sure you always join or switch to the side with fewer total players. You will fight with a small team of humans and bots against a much larger team of all bots.

How is TPU better than (or at least different from) other BF42 servers?
  1. Most of the maps have been modified so that tanks and planes spawn much more quickly, and in greater numbers. No more walking! No more waiting! No reason to kill your team-mate to grab a ride! And you don't have to download anything to play.

2. The server software has been modified to prevent server crash exploits.

3. The server software has been modified to prevent the current map from restarting when the second player joins.

4. You can use submarines (on maps that have them, like Midway). In the original game, subs could not be used in co-op mode.

5. Units (especially tanks and planes) have been added to many maps, making them more interesting.
Why co-op vs. bots?
Because some people prefer this kind of play, and I (the server admin) am one of them. Human vs. human fighting is nasty and leads to cheating, name-calling and general bad feelings. I would much rather work together with other humans to defeat a computer-controlled opponent with more soldiers.

How can I see how many humans are playing?
In the game, press Tab. Under the column heading "#" you will see a number for each human player. Bots have no such number. You can always find me if I'm playing because my ping result will be zero.

Why does the server crash so often?
One of the disadvantages of playing with bots is that it increases the amount of work for both the Battlefield 1942 server software and for the server hardware. Each bot adds a certain amount of overhead, which taxes the server's CPU a bit more. Worse, the parts of the Battlefield 1942 server program that control the AI (bots) are notoriously flaky. Bots get into weird situations that were not expected by the developers, and this can lead to crashes.

How do I change maps?
Use the map vote screen. Press Enter, then click the SCORE BOARD button, then click the MAP VOTE button. Scroll down the map list until you see the map you want, click on it and click the VOTE FOR MAP button. At least 60% of the players need to vote for that map for the vote to succeed.

How can I track other human players in-game?
If you want to see where a particular player is at all times, you can add him to your buddy list. Press Enter, then click the SCORE BOARD button, then click on the player you want to track, then click the ADD BUDDY button. Buddies appear on the map and in chat with a special colour (green).

How can I get a bot to leave a vehicle I want to drive?
One of the more annoying things about playing with bots in Battlefield 1942 is that they tend to hog vehicles. Sometimes, if you get lucky, pressing 'E' to enter a bot-occupied vehicle is enough to get them to exit. But usually that doesn't work. This problem was resolved in Battlefield 2: in that game, pressing 'E' to enter an occupied vehicle always forces the bot to exit. But back to Battlefield 1942: you can sometimes get a bot to leave a vehicle by pressing F6, F7 (ALARMS, BAIL OUT). But again, that usually doesn't work, especially if the bot is engaging the enemy. Recently, I discovered (at long last) a combination of commands that actually works: press F6 (ALARMS), then F3 (HOLD YOUR FIRE), then F6 (ALARMS), then F7 (BAIL OUT). The first command pair tells the bot to stop engaging the enemy, and the second tells the bot to get out of the vehicle.

Game stats

Why am I not listed?
Have you played the required number of rounds? Your stats are logged but will not be listed until you have played at least that number of rounds on the server. As of 2012Oct26, that number is ten, but that may change.

Why haven't my stats been updated?
Stats are updated every night at about 3am PST. Wait until tomorrow, then check again. We will be looking at increasing the frequency of updates. The difficulty is that it's a long process and uses up some CPU time and bandwidth on the server, so we don't want to do it too often.

I have changed my player name. Will it affect my stats?
Player stats are collected and logged by CDHASH, so your stats should be combined as long as you have used the same CDHASH for each name. Once your new name has been used more times than your previous names it will be listed as your primary name.

How do I stop others from using my name?
Your stats are stored in the database by your CDHASH, so if someone steals your name in an effort to damage your stats they will be wasting their time.

Why am I losing points?
Although as of 2009-Feb-14 all stats are cumulative, we are considering setting a stats window. If we decide to do this, the stats will show the last 30 days of activity. This will mean that every day you will lose the next oldest day's stats. The reason for this would be to give everyone a fair chance at getting somewhere and to show how consistent you are. In other words, there will be less of an advantage for people who just play much more often that everyone else.

When are the stats reset?
By popular demand, the stats were reset on January 5, 2011 and the previous stats were archived to allow everyone to go back and check their old stats. We will most likely continue with this pattern, resetting stats each year in January and archiving the previous year's stats.

Why do player details conflict with other info on the profile page?
If we decide to go ahead with a rolling stats window, player details will show only the last 30 days of activity. All other information on your profile page (teammates you have killed, your victims, etc.) are the total stats collected from the date shown in the Logged Since: field of your player details. Hence the potential discrepancy.

How do I make a suggestion for the stats?
If you think you have a suggestion that will improve the way the stats work then please feel free to visit the Suggestions forum and post your idea there.

What do the stats column headings mean?
  • Points - calculated using a special formula (see explanation later in this list)
  • S/R - end-of-round score per round (i.e. average end-of-round score)
  • Score - total of all end-of-round scores.
  • Kills - total number of kills made by the player.
  • Deaths - total number of times the player died.
  • K/D - Kills/Deaths ratio.
  • Gold star - total number of end-of-round gold stars awarded.
  • Silver star - total number of end-of-round silver stars awarded.
  • Bronze star - total number of end-of-round bronze stars awarded.
  • T/Ks - total number of team kills.
  • Attacks symbol (soldier with flag) - total number of flag attacks.
  • Captures symbol (soldier changing flag) - total number of captures (not working).
  • Objectives symbol (solder with objective) - total number of objectives (not working).
  • Joystick symbol - total number of rounds played.
  • Cross symbol - total number of heals performed on others (does not include self heals).
  • Wrench symbol - total number of repairs performed on empty units, units occupied by bots and units occupied by other humans (this may not be quite correct; we're looking into it).
How are Points calculated?
Player Points are calculated as follows:
New method, started October 2, 2014:
(((attacks*1)-tks+(heals/10)+(otherrepairs/100))/rounds_played)+kdrate
Explanation:

• One point is added for each flagpoint attacked, since that's the main objective.
  • Each team kill reduces points by one. Avoid them if you can!
  • Number of heals of other players per round is added, but divided by 10 to reduce their impact.
  • Number of repairs with the engineer wrench per round is added, but divided by 100 to reduce their impact.
  • The resulting number is divided by the number of rounds played, producing an average. The Kill/Death ratio is then added.
This formula is designed to favour those who capture flags, heal other players, repair vehicles, have fewer team kills and have better Kill/Death ratios.

Old method, from October 6, 2013 to October 2, 2014:
((attacks*3)-tks+(heals/10)+(otherrepairs/100))/rounds_played

Old method, from October 2012 to October 6, 2013:
((attacks*3)-tks+heals+otherrepairs)/rounds_played

Old method, from 2009Feb15 to October 2012:
(score/rounds_played)+(first*3)+(second*2)+third-tks+attacks+kdrate+rounds_played

What do the symbols next to player names mean?
  • Red cross - player has the top rank in the Heals stat (healing others).
  • Wrench - player has the top rank in the Repairs stat (all repairs).
  • Medal - player has the highest total score (end-of-round scores).
  • Flag - player has the top rank in the Attacks stat (flag attacks).
Why are the captures and objectives columns always zero?
Apparently these values either aren't tracked properly by the game, or they are not valid when playing in co-op mode. Either way, they are zero, so just ignore them.

Why don't all my kills appear in my details?
Player kills of bots are not counted in player details. They are however counted in the overall kill totals. You can see the discrepancy when looking at weapon details, as well as player victims and assassins totals. If you are playing cooperatively (and you should be), your totals for victims should be zero.

How can I have my clan tracked separately?
The Clan Ranking tab tracks stats for clans that have been registered. Submit your clan tag for tracking by sending email to jrivett AT jdrgaming DOT com.

-- Jeff (boot13)

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.08 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

Normal Topic Normal Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post