Welcome to jdrgaming.com Friday, April 19 2024 @ 01:18 AM PDT

jdrgaming.com Forums

Forum Index > Tanks 'n Planes Unlimited > TPU discussion New Topic Post Reply
 Battle of Britain Map
Prev Topic Next Topic

*GP* not-a-bot
 Saturday, December 10 2011 @ 07:52 AM PST (Read 3052 times)  

Junior

Forum User

Battle of Britain map continues to have issues. I played last night and lost my connection a couple of times. At one point, all of us (about 6 I'd say) were kicked off. Mojo was disconnected at least 5 times. I played it a couple of days ago and it was very laggy--the planes were jumping around in the sky. It was especially bad over the factory. Last night it didn't seem as laggy, which I found ironic considering the connection issues.
I don't know if maybe the current map file needs to be scrapped and a fresh one used with slower spawn rates, or.....

Profile Email
[TPU]Sisko
 Saturday, December 10 2011 @ 12:43 PM PST  

Forum User

I myself haven't had any problems when around 4 players are on. But I have notice that if we have 6 to 7 humans and the sky is filled with ju88's plus the allied planes, it is a recipe for a crash. I remember Dark saying when a b17 is about to crash,when all four engines are on fire,that it causes weird things to happen. Now I wonder, would all those ju88's be doing the same thing? Or with all those planes from both side and bots in jeeps running around,be to much activity going on at once. I was recording with xfire when all this activity was going on,would that add problems?

Profile Email Website
Jeff Rivett (site admin)
 Sunday, December 11 2011 @ 07:22 AM PST  

Admin

Site Admin

Recording with XFire will not affect the server. It could affect your client, which would tend to make it more difficult to figure out where the lag originates. It's often helpful to ask any other players what they are experiencing.

It's particularly difficult to track down problems like this because there are so many variables. Lag may be caused (or amplified) by particular units, scenery objects, effects, players, and so on.

I'm also going to encourage all the admins to keep a log of any problems. This is not a requirement to be an admin, but it would be very useful in trying to diagnose problems like lag on specific maps. So, for instance, if I was in BF42 BoB and experienced unusual lag (bad lag or lag that goes on for more than a few seconds), I would first ask the other players in-game if they were also seeing lag, then make a note something like this:
2011-Dec-11 7:15am PST
BF1942/Battle of Britain
3 human players
Consistently bad lag near the factory or anywhere there are lots of planes in the air.

My own log consists of a paper notebook, since I don't want to risk Alt-Tabbing away from the game to update a computer-based log.

After a while I should be able to collate this information and hopefully spot patterns, which might allow us to make changes that would alleviate the problem.

-- Jeff (boot13)

Profile Email Website
[TPU]Sisko
 Sunday, December 11 2011 @ 05:16 PM PST  

Forum User

I will be keeping a log especially on maps that been known to have weird things in BF and BG. I believe the other admins will do the same and with the new info you will get, it should help pin-point problems for a swift fix. Besides 42 bob, bg midway has a few odd things that goes on and that is one of my fav maps that has been tweaked.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.05 seconds New Topic Post Reply
 All times are PDT. The time is now 01:18 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content