Welcome to jdrgaming.com Tuesday, March 19 2024 @ 12:39 AM PDT

jdrgaming.com Forums

Forum Index > Everything else > General discussion New Topic Post Reply
 Thousands of Computer Users May Lose Internet Access

Page navigation

Prev Topic Next Topic

[TPU]Sisko
 Monday, April 23 2012 @ 10:14 AM PDT (Read 8244 times)  

Forum User

Some computer users could be just a few clicks away from losing internet access.

The problem began when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of computers around the world. The hackers infected a network of probably more than 570,000 computers worldwide.

Most victims don’t even know their computers have been infected, although the malicious software probably has slowed their Web surfing and disabled their antivirus software.

The FBI set up a safety net months ago using government computers to prevent the internet from shutting down for those infected users. But the safety net is set to expire on July 9.

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner that will inform them whether they’re infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won’t be able to connect to the Internet.

Profile Email Website
Jeff Rivett (site admin)
 Tuesday, April 24 2012 @ 04:17 AM PDT  

Admin

Site Admin

This is potentially a huge problem for people with infected systems. The malware is called "DNS Changer". You can check your computer easily by visiting this page and running the quick test: DNS Changer Working Group - Detection Test

-- Jeff (boot13)

Profile Email Website
[TPU]Sisko
 Wednesday, April 25 2012 @ 02:18 AM PDT  

Forum User

Jeff, I do have a question about this. I would say I have a lot of understanding about computers however, they are some things over my head. Okay, you know I use my mac most of the time on TPU. I use Parallels Desktop to run Windows XP prof and being that they say it doesn't effect mac, would it get in Parallels?

I don't think I have it, but when I went to do the scan anyway, it says not for mac users. So I opened firefox in windows and went back to the site and again it shows up as my mac? I don't surf or anything in windows just TPU, battlefield 1942, xfire and fraps. Right now my system seems stable, no weird behavior but I just wanted to be on the safe side.

Profile Email Website
Jeff Rivett (site admin)
 Wednesday, April 25 2012 @ 07:29 AM PDT  

Admin

Site Admin

Quote by: [TPU]Sisko

I use Parallels Desktop to run Windows XP prof and being that they say it doesn't effect mac, would it get in Parallels? I don't think I have it, but when I went to do the scan anyway, it says not for mac users. So I opened firefox in windows and went back to the site and again it shows up as my mac?

That's an excellent question. On your Mac, Windows runs in a kind of box, and all communication between Windows and the Internet goes through the Mac operating system. That's why the test shows your system as a Mac instead of Windows: even though it seems like you're running Windows, you're really running Windows as an application on the Mac.

The real question is whether or not running inside the Mac OS protects Windows from the DNS Changer malware. I found some more resources online, including this one, which explains how to check for DNS Changer manually on both Windows and Macs:
http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/november/malware_110911/DNS-changer-malware.pdf

Here's the main FBI page about DNS Changer:
http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/november/malware_110911

More DNS Changer info from the DNS Changer Working Group:
http://www.dcwg.org/detect/checking-for-dns-changer-on-windows-xp/

Here's an alternate DNS Changer test from the DCWG:
http://www.dns-ok.us/

If your computer gets its IP address and DNS server IPs from a router on your local network, you need to check the router. That can be a bit more complicated. You'll need to access the router's built-in administration interface and check the DNS settings. Refer to your router's manual or your ISP. But as long as the default password on the router was changed when it was installed, you are almost certainly safe.

-- Jeff (boot13)

Profile Email Website
[TPU]Sisko
 Wednesday, April 25 2012 @ 05:17 PM PDT  

Forum User

Yes, I get my IP through my router. I went back to my modem handbook and access the modem info. I never changed the password and I left it default too. I use my mac for work and just wanted to be sure so yes, I'm clear of it. Thanks again!

Profile Email Website
DracoDrake
 Wednesday, April 25 2012 @ 08:26 PM PDT  

Junior

Forum User

my computers clear as a whistle lol.

Profile Email
[TPU]Sisko
 Wednesday, April 25 2012 @ 11:01 PM PDT  

Forum User

Better make sure, this is something worth double checking on. I had two people from work that had it and didn't even suspect they were infected. I guess if someone is infected and can't connect, well a redo of your os to clear it out. That is a pain. If your not, I'm glad, but pass this info to all your cadets and friends anyway.

Profile Email Website
Jeff Rivett (site admin)
 Thursday, April 26 2012 @ 05:24 AM PDT  

Admin

Site Admin

Quote by: [TPU]Sisko

Yes, I get my IP through my router. I went back to my modem handbook and access the modem info. I never changed the password and I left it default too. I use my mac for work and just wanted to be sure so yes, I'm clear of it. Thanks again!

Just to be clear: you need to make sure your router's password was changed from the default. If it's still the default password, anyone in the world can potentially access it.

-- Jeff (boot13)

Profile Email Website
[TPU]Sisko
 Thursday, April 26 2012 @ 05:01 PM PDT  

Forum User

Done, thanks!

Profile Email Website
Jeff Rivett (site admin)
 Thursday, May 03 2012 @ 06:45 AM PDT  

Admin

Site Admin

According to Woody Leonhard, DNSChanger is not the end of the world:
http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/dnschanger-is-not-the-end-of-the-world/#story1

-- Jeff (boot13)

Profile Email Website

Page navigation

Content generated in: 0.13 seconds New Topic Post Reply
 All times are PDT. The time is now 12:39 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content