Welcome to jdrgaming.com Friday, March 29 2024 @ 05:03 AM PDT

jdrgaming.com Forums

Forum Index > Tanks 'n Planes Unlimited > TPU discussion New Topic Post Reply
 AI problems and changing AI on maps

Jeff Rivett (site admin)
 Wednesday, August 17 2011 @ 06:08 AM PDT (Read 2806 times)  

Admin

Site Admin

There are AI problems on a few of the BG42 maps. For instance, Allied bots on Omaha Beach never move off the shingle. There is at least one map where the bots jump into all the available vehicles at the main base and sit there, tank turrets spinning, for the entire session (unfortunately, I can't recall which map that is).

It should be easy enough to tweak the AI code in those maps to get the bots moving, but first we need to make sure that making AI changes will not cause other problems. We don't want to make changes to any TPU maps if those changes will require all players to download the new versions of those maps. One of TPU's goals is to modify maps in such a way that no downloads are required as long as you have the original and main mod maps.

DarkRyda recently said that he could take a look at the AI problems, so I'm hoping he'll take on the job. I've also been looking at the AI documentation and some map AI source, but that's as far as I've gone. As soon as anyone has determined for sure whether making AI changes necessitates client map downloads, we can divide up the rest of the work.

-- Jeff (boot13)

Profile Email Website
[TPU]Sisko
 Wednesday, August 17 2011 @ 07:50 PM PDT  

Forum User

Jeff the one you are describing sounds a lot like 4410-debrecen. Axis or Allied bots would not leave the base and as you said the bots would stay in tanks..I don't know if this the same one you were thinking of or not but, they share a same MO.

Profile Email Website
[TPU]Darkryda
 Sunday, August 28 2011 @ 07:55 AM PDT  

Chatty

Forum User

guys i hate to say it but im not having much luck with omaha, i keep making it worse, lol

Profile Email
Jeff Rivett (site admin)
 Sunday, August 28 2011 @ 04:32 PM PDT  

Admin

Site Admin

Sorry to hear that. I keep meaning to dig into the AI stuff but other projects get in the way. If I do get into it and learn anything I'll let you know.

-- Jeff (boot13)

Profile Email Website
[TPU]Sisko
 Monday, August 29 2011 @ 06:55 AM PDT  

caffeinated

Forum User

Maybe it is one of those situation like the deep problem inside BF42 that restarts a map when only one player is on and another player joins. Jeff I read your post on that and that we are stuck with it. Maybe we are stuck with the AI situation as well. But Dark thanks for trying anyways man. I really appreciate it and get well soon. Smile

Profile Email Website
Jeff Rivett (site admin)
 Monday, September 05 2011 @ 12:21 PM PDT  

Admin

Site Admin

I just played the BG42 Omaha map on TPU. I was on the wrong team because I wanted to watch what the Allied bots were doing. Maybe it was because there were more of them, but they seemed to be moving up the beach okay, and they helped me attack and take the last spawnpoint. I'll try again when the Allied side is the smaller team.

-- Jeff (boot13)

Profile Email Website
[TPU]Sisko
 Tuesday, September 06 2011 @ 12:50 AM PDT  

thoughtful

Forum User

Thank you for trying anyways Jeff. Smile

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.11 seconds New Topic Post Reply
 All times are PDT. The time is now 05:03 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content