The debug version of Battlefield 1942 can be used for a variety of map development tasks, including packing RFA files and creating Object Lightmaps, Terrain Lightmaps and Merging Lightmaps.
Note that according to the article linked above, using WinRFA to pack map files "destroys the envmap.rcm and thus you will have NO Envmap effects on your map (the chrome shiny reflections on some weapons&vehicles)." My own recent testing of WinRFA indicates otherwise, so this issue was presumably addressed in an update to WinRFA at some point.
What follows was copied from an official post by Digital Illusions. A download link for the debugger is at the bottom.
Battlefield 1942 v1.6 Debug Executable
Author: Digital Illusions
This debug executable will list any data errors in your custom mod or map. Used correctly, it will allow you to improve frame rate, stability and overall robustness for your mods and custom BF1942 maps.
WHY USE THE DEBUG?
The BF1942 debug executable will list any data errors in your custom mod or map. Used correctly, it will allow you to improve frame rate, stability and overall robustness for your mods and custom BF1942 maps. The debug exe will allow you to pinpoint where in your custom mod/map the problem lies.
1) Assertion Errors for missing textures or animations can cause rendering errors or strange side-effects if not addressed.
2) Assertion Errors for sound files can tell you that your custom sounds are causing a performance hit if the sounds don't match the sample frequency, eg. 11, 22 or 44 Khz.
3) In general, assertion errors about missing assets are a warning to the level designer or scripter that a resource is missing.
HOW TO SETUP
1) Unzip and place the debug exe (BF1942_r.exe) into your root BF1942 directory. DEFAULT location is C:\\Program Files\\EA GAMES\\Battlefield 1942
2) Place the dll file (Mod_r.dll) in the
3) You must set Battlefield 1942 to run in Windowed Mode in order to use the debug exe effectively. To do that, open the VideoDefault.con file and change the renderer.setFullScreen to 0 (zero). DEFAULT location is C:\\Program Files\\EA GAMES\\Battlefield 1942\\Mods\\bf1942\\Settings.
HOW TO USE
1) Start BF1942 by using the debug exe (BF1942_r.exe)
2) Run your custom map in BF1942 or activate your mod and run a map from the mod.
3) As the map loads, the debug will generate an assertion error dialog box which details any problems it encounters. You can IGNORE these errors and continue loading the map but the map will most likely be hindered by these in terms of performance or stability.
4) All assertion errors will also be written to a debug log file in your mod directory using the following naming convention: Debug_
HOW NOT TO USE
1) The debug exe cannot be used to join a BF1942 game running on the regular executable.
2) You won't be able to host a dedicated or internet server
3) You won't be able to host a Punkbuster-enabled server
|Post Date:||Feb 05, 2004 2:31pm PST|
|Last Updated:||Sep 23, 2010 7:02pm PDT|